Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving


Well that was a nice long break! However I think we all wish it were just a bit longer! It was packed with activities! Wednesday night was Turkey Bingo where we packed the commons with people from the village and played Bingo. It was a lot of fun. I announced, picked numbers and helped place the numbers in order. 

Thursday we all got up and made out dishes for dinner. We had our Thanksgiving at 3pm followed by skyping my family. 



It was a lot of fun to get to spend some time in the Yupik room since that is where we had Thanksgiving. It gave me a chance to look around and see some differences between the two languages. Besides the fun we had during dinner it was perhaps the hardest day I have had since I got here. It was the first Thanksgiving I have spent without close friends or family. This made the day very rough. Later that evening we played our first game of volleyball and lost so we went to the losers bracket and lost that one too. However we had a good time. Saturday was the craft bizarre where they sold some local food and crafts were sold. There were beautiful pieces of ivory, fur hats, king salmon strips and agouda. I am looking forward to the one that will happen in January since there might be people from neighboring villages as well.

Unfortunately Saturday and Sunday were spent in bed or on a couch since I developed the flu. Which I chalked up to being almost the best sickness to have after Thanksgiving. Thankfully I was well enough to come to work on Monday. Three more weeks until I come home!!!

Countdown: 19
Sunrise: 10:45am
Sunset: 4:55pm
Temperature: 3 feels like 0
Amount of Snow: Just lots of old snow

No comments: