Monday, March 5, 2012

Spring Break Recap

It was an interesting break. Wednesday and Thursday Chelsey and I spent most of the days alternating between sleeping and reading.  Friday I got up and got ready to head to St. Marys. I was scheduled out on the first flight with almost all of the ball players except one. The coach and the other player were scheduled out on the second. (Which is technically against policy but we will get to that in a moment.) We were delayed about an hour but we made it to St. Marys. And about an hour after we arrived in St. Marys we were scheduled to have our first game. Well it quickly became obvious that the second plane wasn't going to make it in because of weather so I became the coach of the 4-6th grade basketball team. We won all four of our games Friday night. The last one was the most exciting. It went into double overtime and we won 41-38. It was so intense! At one point one of my players was hurt and crying on the court so I was trying to call for a timeout. But because of OTHER FACTORS (like the other team having the ball....not that I said that or anything) they wouldn't give it to me. I was yelling at the top of my lungs and half way on the court before they gave it to me. It was already really loud in there so it wasn't like I was the only one yelling. The player just ended up having a jammed finger thankfully. And we continued on to win the game. It was so awesome! We lost our first game Saturday morning by one point from a questionable last second shot and then won our last game of the tournament. It was a lot of fun. We made it back Saturday afternoon. It was awesome being greeted by the parents after we got off the plane. They were really happy that their students came back champions and they congratulated me as coach. It was awesome.

When I made it home I found out that two of the teachers had been in a snowmachine accident on their way to Chevak and one of them had their hand sucked up in the intake. She was taken to Bethel and her hand is a rainbow of colors but she survived it with only a broken thumb. 


Now I wish our story stopped there and I would have been able to continue with my plan to sleep and read. However Rylie and Parker planned otherwise. While we were at a dinner. They got into an almost full 2 lb bag of raisins. For those who don't know even seven can be toxic to dogs causing kidney failure. This doesn't happen to all dogs. Some can eat a whole bag and continue life as we know it but we didn't want to risk finding that out because once it hits the small intestine there is no way to reverse any effects. So we called my vet in Oregon and his plan of attack since there aren't any vets up here was to give the dogs 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide every five minutes until the dogs threw up. Took Parker just half a second to start puking up almost 90% of the 2lb bag. He ate so much of it. Rylie took a second dose and eventually puked up just a little. It was so much fun getting to clean it up. I HATE PUKE! 

Thankfully Sunday was a relaxing day and now back to work. Shall it get back to normal.....NO WHY WOULD IT DO THAT?!?!?  Currently we are in a winter weather advisory with winds up to 70mph. It was very difficult to walk to school today. Walk a few steps stop maintain footing continue walking. The handles to the door were close to sticking to my hands. Ew!  Thankfully I made it safely but our meetings his morning are put on hold because so many can't make it up from the village. 

So now hopefully all will be back to normal. Kids come back tomorrow and I am hoping I get to go to Kotlik with the ball players again this weekend. Today we have a meeting to discuss the next school year calendar and currently on it we will have a three week Christmas break. I so hope it stays on there. That would just be the absolute best! 

Lessons Learned Over Break
1. Always have the coach fly first out, last in. This way you are never alone to coach. (Although I really enjoyed coaching)
2. Once your players are over 20 points a head they have to take off the pressure. 
3. 6 separate hours of adrenaline is ridiculous. 6 games that just leave you exhausted. 
4. 2 tblspoons of hydrogen peroxide can make a dog puke. 
5. Don't ever never ever let dogs eat raisins. It just makes a mess for you.  Lets just put it this way there is a reason no pictures were included in this post.
6. When in the midst of a snow machine crash dive away from the machine. Not backward or underneath it. Or anywhere near the intake. 
7. Best laid plans always have a way of changing. Sometimes for the best, sometimes not.

Sunrise: 8:47am
Sunset: 7:37pm
Temperature: 20 feels like -2
Snow: Maybe new snow. The wind makes it hard to tell.

No comments: