Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Safe Town


Every morning in my classroom we have what is called Morning Meeting. This is where I check in with my students seeing who got sleep last night, who didn’t and who is going through other stuff. One of my student’s was telling me about his seal-hunting trip the day before. We began talking about what parts of the seal they like to eat and what they do with the fur.  Some kids like the kidneys and others like the seal fat. However from this conversation I learned that people snowboard up here!!!! They rent snowboards from the City Store and just go up our mountain. I was freaking. I am so excited!!! As soon as people start snowboarding I will be out there with them. Can you imagine all of that fresh powder??

Wednesday and Thursday are parent/teacher conferences. They are my first. I will admit I am kind of nervous. I have been preparing and have my folders all ready. Wish me luck!

The other night I was watching Criminal Minds and the episode was really scary! It was about a guy who would attack women in their house and I got the willies. I started checking the locks and doing all of the things that people do in order to feel safe. Then in the midst of it all I realized that things like that just don’t happen up here. It is a really safe place. If I needed to walk to the village at 3 in the morning I would have no problem doing that by myself. Now don’t get me wrong there have been a few scary incidents but they happen once in a blue moon. Criminal Minds just became another TV show; about as scary as How I Met Your Mother.

Sunrise: 10:14am
Sunset: 7:16pm
Temperature: 35 feels like 30
Amount of Snow: Around 4 inches

A few pictures of snow...



No comments: