Two nights ago I painted my fingernails (I was in need of feeling like a girly girl). I painted them a white undercoat with that blue crackle stuff on top (for boys: crackle basically means that it looks like shattered glass on my finger tips). My students went crazy when they saw my nails. They called it “lower 48 nail polish.” It was hilarious.
My students were very glad to have me back. During our Morning Meeting they said I should have gone to the clinic the moment I got sick so I didn’t miss school. And they are right. I am still not feeling well (this morning I feel almost as bad as when I started this pain in the rear sickness!!!) and have an appointment at the clinic today at 3pm. Now there aren’t any doctors here in Scammon Bay. If I absolutely needed a doctor I would take a mediflight out. They would take me to Bethel, which has the closest hospital. Our Clinic technicians are skilled in filling cavities, giving shots in the rear and giving out lice kits. These are the services I have learned about so far from word of mouth. I am sure they do more however no one near me has needed any other services. This is what sick looks like in Alaska....
Shastina is the teacher in the room right next to mine. We often pop into each other’s rooms to make a quick comment or borrow something from each other. Today we were laughing so hard because there are so many things that we say that we never imagined ourselves saying for example: “No farting,” “Whose pants are these on the floor?” "Where are your pants?" (This is because they wear jeans over their gym shorts and often take off their jeans and leave them on the floor or because the cold makes them layer many extra layers), “Is that chew in your mouth? Show me your bottom lip” Don’t cause mischief” “Already” (which translated means ‘yes I have already done that’) “Where’re are your shoes?” “Whose shoes are these?” "It is not clean your basketball shoes time!" “Put your head back in the classroom!” “Why are you standing on the table?” “Wake up!” “Quit laying on your desk, it is not a bed!” "Yes that is a plane outside. You have seen 4 to 8 of them everyday since the day you were born, so sit back down!!" And so many more! We say almost every single one of these things everyday to either a student in our class or someone else’s.
In an earlier post I explained that “expert” is commonly used here to explain something that is awesome or cool. Another word commonly used is “mischief” which means trouble. For example I might ask, “Why are you causing trouble in my class?” to which they would reply “I no cause mischief.” Or if a student is trying to point out that another student is causing trouble they would say, “He cause mischief.” Either way if there is trouble it is because someone “cause mischief.”
Rylie has found her hiding space in our house for when she has a bone. This way Sookie can't steal it from her. We also had to get her a new bowl since she loves to carry them around the house saying something like "Please Sir I want some more" (done of course in a British accent as to imitate Oliver Twist). However this must be done Alaskan style.
On a super happy note….less then two months until I come home!!! I have been attempting to make plans with people for when I am home but for some reason people just don’t plan two months out. WEIRDOS!! :)
Sunrise: 9:55am
Sunset: 7:40pm
Amount of Snow: Ground is dusted. We actually had snow left over from yesterday!


No comments:
Post a Comment