Those of you who haven't had moose meat yet, you need to try it! Its really really good!!!
This upcoming week we are heading to Hooper Bay for two days for inservice. Even though it is just 30 minutes South of where I am it is nice to get out and try new things. I have been learning which cities make the best native arts. I look forward to collecting some of them.
Some people have been asking what I miss from the lower 48 or what I want sent up. This I have thought long and hard about. Sure I miss DQ but is it really practical to have one sent up? A blizzard during a blizzard? Sounds too cold. Subway probably will be soggy by the time it gets here. Burger King sounds amazing but cold French fries aren’t so yummy. My next thought wandered to Olive Garden however I have found that restaurant gift certificates don’t spend so well up here. (The only man who has anything that resembles a restaurant is a little desk by the side of the road that he makes hamburgers on whenever he feels like it. So restaurants are out of the question.) So this is what I came up with.
1. 1. Starbucks Via Hot: Carmel (I miss Starbucks!! I remember thinking before I came up, why would I miss Starbucks? Its just coffee. Yea no its not, it’s a reminder of what the lower 48 is like.)
2.
2. Halloween Candy Bags (Halloween is huge! Kids get mounds of candy. However I have found that if I hide a bag in my desk if my day is going super South then the little piece of chocolate makes me feel better.)
3.
3. Rawhide Bones (Rylie requested this. I suggested many other tasty dog treats but she insisted on this.)
4.
4. Magazines (Cosmo, Vanity Fair, People, Vogue. Surprisingly enough there isn’t much runway fashion up here and it is nice to see what’s hot these days.)
5.
5. James Patterson Books (He is my all time favorite author. I have read most of his earlier stuff but basically since Grad School started I have not been able to read one book. Currently I am reading “Alaska” by James Michener. Very entertaining! Plus the history has helped me learn/understand more about the culture. But Patterson is way more entertaining!)
6.
6. DVDs (Any of them! Preferable ones that make a person laugh, cry, wish they could make that stunt move or have you so sucked in that you have to stay up until 3am in the morning to finish it. I am going to be getting to a point here soon where leaving the house isn’t an option unless it’s the quick battle to school and back. Although I have found some fun activities to do there is nothing like cuddling up on the couch and watching a good movie. I have a whole new respect for Redbox. They really did it right.)
For those interested in sending something my address up here is…
Monica Tupper
PO Box 201
Scammon Bay, AK 99662
It’s like Christmas getting a box!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment