Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Manaq

Yesterday I went manaq (fishing) and was a hooker (a fisherman). This was my first time ever fishing for tomcod before; although I have fished many many times in my life. It is a very unique process. I was lucky to find a pole along the river that someone had left which meant I was able to take.

When tomcod fishing you get a sturdy piece of stick and put a hook in the middle of the string sometimes up to three hooks if you want. At the very end of the string you tie a rock or something heavy to weigh it down.  The pole I found had three but not a long string. It is best to have a long string because then you can throw it farther out. For bait we used goose gizzard and we would just hook a chunk on. Then throw the line out in the water and wait for the line to dance. I would do my sister and I's ritualistic "Here fishy fishy fishy." We usually did this as we hung over the side of the boat but since I didn't have a boat I did it from shore. This apparently works even better on Scammon Bay fish then it does Columbia River fish because I had many many bites. Now I had super dull hooks on my line so it was like Christmas, in the tomcod fishing world, both times I brought mine up. I would yank the line up out of the water and the fish would just fly onto land without me having to get the hook out of their mouth or anything! And to make things even better I got to keep my bait so I used the same bait for awhile. I was super lucky!

Then after my hands were freezing and I couldn't handle being cold anymore. It was time to gut the fish. Yum! Now I have gut many fish before! Sturgeon, salmon, and trout mainly however this was all with a knife. Out in the Bush you use your fingers and it is not a pretty process. I remembered back in the day Michelle and I would poke the fishes eye balls as Mom or Dad cut up the fish. However they do not do think this is as much fun. Okay I am going to just tell you that with your hands you gut the fish, tear out the gills, break its neck and detach one fin. You don't wanna know more then that!

I had so much fun manaq that I plan on taking my students to do it in the upcoming week. It will be awesome!!! Next type of fishing I plan on doing is ice fishing. I am so excited for this!


This is what you do with tomcod after you catch them. This is to dry them.

A view of the village where we were fishing at.

Lottery housing, the school and teaching housing. 
My fishing pole and I.


This is what you do after you have cast your line. Then you just want for the string to start moving!

One Fish

Two Fish.......sorry no red fish or blue fish.

Our pile of fishes.

My first tomcod fish gut. I am happy but he is deceiving you with his smile. 

Picture taken from my pocket as I fall into the mud. In order to get to the fishing ground you have to go through swamp like areas. Mud up to some people's calfs. Lucky I learned the ancient trick of walking on grass so you don't sink as far. :)

2 comments:

Nana (Lisa Sullivan) said...

Love your frequent blog updates. The fishing experience sounds amazing! Who did you go fishing with? Keep posting updates~ love from Oregon

Courtney said...

Were the fishies dinner that night? :)