Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Happiness


Usually I write to talk about my activities however I believe equally important up here is how I feel. I have been taken out of my element, and many things have changed. However the reason I am writing is to talk about happiness in different places. When I face something sad down in the Lower 48 I often help myself feel better by indulging in “Retail Therapy,” eating a delicious peanut buster parfait or going out with friends. However here the attempt to find happiness is a completely different ball game. Unfortunately there is no Nordstrom up here and going out with friends is severely hindered because where would you go out to? Online shopping isn’t as much fun. There is nothing like feeling the clothing and trying it on. (This is why I will be doing a lot of shopping over Winter Break.) However when I do order something *she says with excitement* I know it will be in here one to three weeks! Life all of a sudden gets super exciting.  Anyway one of the people I have become friends with here is the counselor, her name is Debbie.  She is excellent at keeping me calm during a football game where my Ducks are losing by helping me get my frustration out on bubble wrap….who doesn’t love popping bubble wrap? Another thing that is exciting is when the Green Store (Askinuk) has coca-cola! Dreaming of ice cream though is pushing it. However in my situation finding happiness isn’t a stretch. I am surrounded by people that bring challenge and reward. I am getting to experience life in such a way that so few get to. Yes there is risk but the reward is not only experience in my field of expertise but also an incredible adventure. For some people they have a hard time believing that someone would be willing to go to the middle of no where to live for ten months. Sometimes I agree with them…..however in one month look out how much my life has blossomed (even on the Bering Sea). I am a teacher. I am eating moose and lynx! I am grateful for what I have (because now I have all of my groceries). I will be experiencing snow by the inches!

Now believe me I have not been as brave as some of you may think. I had my moments of weakness. Seconds…maybe even minutes where I sat there thinking “WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING?!?!?!!?” but those moments passed and I realized that this is the right path for me in life. Even when life throws at me a left hook I wake up and find a sign of reassurance of my path outside on my door step. (See picture in previous posting) Then life continues on and I feel just as brave and strong as before that left hook…….Now lets just see what I am saying after a few months of driving winds, heavy snows and negative temperatures! *BIG smile*

One of the beautiful comforts I get to see everyday is the sunrise and sunset. Here is what I walked to school looking at the other morning……



1 comment:

Courtney said...

The sky is so pretty!