Friday, November 9, 2012

Alapa


I learned a new Yupik word!! Excellent word! And I feel like it is very relevant. The word is "Alapa." Sounds exactly as it looks and it means "I am cold." One of the girls from Alakanuk taught it to me during our trip to anchorage.

The river keeps freezing up and then unfreezing. Today we received a sign that the ice pack in moving south and that is a giant iceberg out on the horizon. Looks like a ship! I am sitting in class anxious to head home and see it with my binoculars.

Mom comes in a week from today! She has agreed to be a guest on my blog and will write a few while she is here. I am so excited for her to come!!

Yesterday we were working on mental division problems. Only our minds no calculators could solve them. One of my students figured out that working on his fingers was a way he could solve the problems. While he was working he called me over and asked to borrow my hands because he ran out of fingers. I died laughing!


Its snowing!!! We have about a half of an inch right now and are supposed to continue snowing till tomorrow. KEEP COMING SNOW!! (except for while mom comes in next friday!)

Sunrise: 9:56
Sunset: 5:37
Temperature: 28 feels like 15

No comments: