Monday, October 1, 2012

BACK!!!

Thursday and Friday of this past week I was in Mountain Village for Inservice. We were there to learn about Constructing Meaning which is a type of teaching/methodology. It was very interesting and we are all looking forward to applying it in our classes!

We left for MOU (the airport code) Wednesday right after school and had the absolute worst airplane ride I have yet to be on. It even rivals the airplane ride where our door came unlocked. We were bouncing up and down and I was constantly losing my stomach. By the time we got to MOU which was just a short 30 minute airplane ride away I was a super pale white and looking for a puke bag. Yes I know gross! Luckily for on our way back I was able to pick up some Dramamine. Two really awesome things about MOU is that it is located right on the Yukon River. So I was able to stand in it and feel how freezing it was! Would not be so much fun to take a swim in! I also had an awesome moment where I walked down and go to see the full moon with no clouds shining off the Yukon. It was a moment to remember. The second cool thing was the AC!! Alaska Commercial which is like a Safeway. We were able to shop for some grocceries that we wouldn't normally get and I was able to pick up a hat because I always forget winter seems to start while we are on Inservice. I looked like a gangster. It is terrible but warm. The flight was smooth coming home and we landed in about an inch of snow. The ground is still too warm for it to stick around and it has already all melted.

While in MOU I bought one of my culture pieces that I am planning on adding to a collection. I bought an Ulu which is technically known as an uluq. It has a gorgeous ivory handle and was made by an elder. It is a beautiful piece. The lady selling them for her father said that the blade is near dull because the man doesn't like the thought of a blade sharpened by him hurting someone who is irresponsible with the blade. She also covered it with tape for safe travels. I am hoping to add lady's dance fans as well as some carvings and some rings to the collection. There is a man in the village who carves rings out of bone and ivory. They are stunning!

Sunrise: 9:09
Sunset: 8:35
Temperature: 43 feels like 31





No comments: