Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sickness

I apologize for not writing this week. I haven't been at school. Sunday night I noticed a few white spots in my throat and on Monday I went to the clinic. Since there have been so many cases of strep in the village the clinic was out of the instant tests so they had to take a swab and send it to Bethel. This meant however that I had to leave without any antibiotics until we had results. The Health Aide said it looked like I had strep. Monday night my face began turning bright red and felt like I had a sunburn. It was pretty painful. I called first thing on Tuesday and they said take Benedryl. So I did and it got worse. It spread all over up upper torso. By Wednesday morning I was itching everywhere and bright red. I made another appointment at the clinic at 3pm. They took my information and sent it off to Bethel just as before but this time I was given the option of sticking around to wait for the results. So I did. After awhile the test results finally came back from the strep test and was positive. However the nurse in Bethel was bothered by my rash and rightfully so since one of the babies in our village was just diagnosed with Rubella. She was worried I had the measles. After she saw the pictures of my rash I was prescribed a small pharmacy to get better. Since I am allergic to penicillin I am not able to heal as quickly as possible. I have to take a similar drug which takes about 10 days. However fortunately by Monday I will be able to return to work! I certainly miss being able to go into society without people covering their mouths! I am one of many of the teachers who have had strep. Over Christmas break a breakout happened where many people became ill. They had run out of tests and shots since then. Thankfully Bethel sent out some more shots. Either way Rylie is enjoying me being home and I am catching up on all of my silly day time TV shows.


As for the weather we are expecting another cold front to be coming in soon. This will bring the temperatures down to around -30 adding in the wind chill factor that will push the feel down to lower then -50. Mmmmmm toasty warm! 


Temperature: -16 feels like -50
Snow: No new snow.

No comments: