Saturday morning we got up SSUUUPPPEEERRRR early. We picked her up at 3:00am and this is what started Saturday. It was soooooo long. From there we went back to the hotel and packed up my bags and Ramsey’s (one of my fellow teachers) bags which took up a whole suburban. Eddie (our principal), Ramsey and I went to the airport and I hung out there with all of the baggage until our flight at 9:30am. Checking in was a fiasco. I had a bag that was over and I had forgotten to claim something and I had to check Rylie. Who by this point was beginning to hate airports and planes she was making the weirdest howling noise. I have never heard it from her before. I had to remind her that she was a Springer Spaniel not a beagle (THANK YOU BRODY!). Ramsey was nice enough to bring me McDonalds as I slept on the baggage in our terminal. That was the best last meal ever. We were lucky to be able to take off on time. Planes going to other places because of the low visibility were delayed for hours if not until the next day. We had to switch planes in Bethel. This was a nervous experience for us all since we knew that the fog was heavy in Bethel and we might get stuck there. As soon as we stepped off the plane in Bethel we were almost immediately put on another plane in order to take off early. Well I managed to super embarrass myself by getting terrible caught up in the seat belt. There were like four connectors and I was so lost. It was bad. Eventually I was bucked and we were just about to take off when the tour called and said visibility was less then a half of a mile so we were to head back to the hanger. As we exited the plane I saw Rylie still in the hanger and asked the pilot if I could go let her out so him and I walked over to get her. He said I could keep her with me in the waiting room until we go to take off again. It was interesting to watch the locals react to Rylie. She looks so different. Everyone was coming up and asking about her. She loved the attention. It wasn’t too long though before I had to put her away and meet with the Captain. In the small airport we don’t have a ticket the Captain has a list and we hop on the plane with the guy that has our name. Initially I was with one Captain and thought I was going to be again but another Captain came up and said my name so I went with him. I ended up sharing a plane with boxes over to Scammon Bay. I wish it wasn’t so foggy because then I could have seen more of the scenery but it was very thick fog and it wasn’t long before we were lost in the white wash. Soon though we touched down and I got my first glimpse of what the village looked like. There were students and fellow staff there at the landing strip and we quickly began unloading since the other plane was right behind us. One of the most interesting things I immediately saw was a dead seal pup right next to the airport. The ride through the village was eye opening. It gave me a good understanding of how the students and their families live. I was so excited to sleep in my uber comfy bed and sprawl out and relax. Then I find out that all of my boxes are stuck in the post office until Monday. I had the clothes in my suitcase and a blanket. We also have been limited on food since it takes almost a week and a half. Now this has been interesting. Almost every night someone says “Oh I have velveta cheese and noodles” “Oh I have corn” “Oh I have ritz crackers.” And that’s dinner. Some night are a little better then others. For instance we have been doing a lot of moose lately. Which is pretty good. Last night we had roast moose, broccoli, and rice. And because I have had a really rough two days I decided it was already time to break out the Angel food cake. Which by the way we went to quite a few different places in Anchorage trying to find this cake and couldn’t find it anywhere only to come to Scammon Bay and was able to find it in the little grocery store here. Well anyway we have still been able to put together really good meals. I am beginning to put my mind into the set that “going out to restaurant” is now going over to one of the fellow teachers houses.
On Monday I finally started work! I initially thought I was just 6th grade but now I am teaching a 5th/6th split. So far I have 12 students but I might get one more. Yesterday I finally got to decorate my class. It looks awesome. I have just a few more things todo……ok a lot of more things to do but I feel better now that I am decorated. I have today and tomorrow to work but then the weekend comes……..when I will do more workJ lol However this weekend I am super excited I am going to be a hooker! Whoa now not that kind of hooker! Here that’s what a fisherman is called. And going fishing is called manaq (mon-a-k). I think we are going for Tomcod (I think that’s what it is called). We also might go berry picking for salmon berries, black berries or blueberries. A lady came to our friend’s door the other night and offered to sell them the berries she has picked. They thought that would be great! Especially since we had just purchased 4lbs of berries for $7.00 before we left anchorage. She went on to tell them the price and it was $260.00. Needless to say we were all astonished and unable to afford that price. I think you are not officially caught up on these past couple week’s happenings. I will be talking to you again soon!!:)
Oh by the way Rylie is adjusting well. The kids love her and call her a hound dog. They are astonished by how flat her back is. All of the huskies have a scoop in their back. She is thrilled there are rocks everywhere and someone always has a rock at their feet that she wants to play "ball" with.
1 comment:
Moni~ love reading about your adventure! My second year of teaching, I taught a 4,5, 6 blend. I loved it! And, I can't imagine having so few students. This year I will have a first/second blend with 32 students! I will look forward to reading your posts. Can't wait to hear how fishing goes for you! Love~ another one of your mom's
Post a Comment