Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Made it to Anchorage.....


I am finally in Scammon Bay, Alaska!!! It has been a very busy two days that have not started out how I wanted them to but finally things are getting settled in. Lets start in the beginning.......

We arrived in Anchorage very late Wednesday night and checked right into our hotel. Thursday morning we got up and went and got my cell phone ( I have an Alaska phone number now). We proceeded to spend the next three hours there trying to get the phone programed and working right. It took forever but I am officially apart of the smartphone world. For the rest of the night we just relaxed and took a nap. Chelsey came in late Thursday night and we picked her up and went out to get to know each other. It was a lot of fun. Friday was even more busy because we went and got Chelsey's phone and ran other random errands. For the most part those first few days we did little trips outside Anchorage. We went to Alyeska Ski Lodge where I experienced one of my last great beer meetings. I was introduced to Glacier Brewery Raspberry Wheat. It was amazing. I was also lucky to find out that there was the brewery in Anchorage so we had dinner there later in the week. We also went to Whittier where we say the biggest cruise ship as well as some beautiful glaciers. The interesting thing about getting into Whittier is that you have to travel under a mountain for about two miles to get there. And when you want to go back you have to wait until the mountain opens up in your direction since there is only one road. It was fun riding under the mountain.

Sunday night marked the start of work! Well not really, we had dinner and picked up our laptops. They gave us some great loot! We got our laptops, a wonderful backpack, a flash drive, hook ups from our laptops to our projectors, a coffee cup (VERY NEEDED) and a water bottle (SUPER NEEDED).

Monday and Tuesday marked classes all day. Breakfast starting at 7am and then classes untill 5pm. Then we would go out to dinner and a beer. Trying so hard to get in those last few sips. On Tuesday Mom and Bev went to Denali and saw many animals. Wednesday was designated as a shopping day and oh man was it! We found out that the grocery store called 3 Bears didn’t charge a handling fee so that’s where we headed in Wasilla. We spent just about two hours there and managed to blow through almost $1,200. And that cost is without the shipping we have yet to pay. It has been hard spending that huge amount of money but that’s what we have to do. That’s how we get our groceries. No way around it. We also went to every other major store in the area…..Walmart, Fred Meyer, Sportsman Warehouse, Carrs, the Mall and Target. Unfortunately at the end of the day Mom and Aunt Bev left.L Thursday and Friday were filled with more classes and packing. Thursday was very stressful and heartbreaking (but only for a little while). I went to make Rylie’s flight plan and found out that she was going to break the bank and I wasn’t going to be able to bring her out. I was so sad. It was awful. But then mom came to the rescue she found a flight or her that only partially broke the bank and she flew up very early Saturday morning. So glad she is able to come. I don't know what I would do without her. She is going to be the only teacher dog too! 

No comments: