We still don’t have food!!! My roommate called on Wednesday to figure out what is going on and they said they had just sent it out. Which kind of made us upset because people who had purchased their stuff after us already had all of their stuff! Needless to say we are anxious for it to come. Ramsey (one of the teachers here) went down to the store early Saturday morning and brought back REAL EGGS!!!! and sausage; then he made hash browns and pancakes. It was an amazing feast. Seriously real eggs are amazing. The taste was probably like a million times better too since I didn’t think I would be having them until I was back in the lower 48. Everybody’s Saturday morning breakfast should taste like that.
One thing I notice here is that everything requires a process. If I want more oatmeal packages I have to call mom, have her go get them, put them in a box, ship them up (which might take nearly a week), get someone to take me down to the post office because it would be rude of me to only go get my stuff since there is tons of boxes always down there that are coming up and then take it home. The whole process might take up to three weeks! Don’t even get me started on trying to get chocolate up here!
So some exciting things that have happened. All in one day. First thing that happened today which almost never happens was that beluga whales came into the Kun River today and the boats surrounded the baby. So we have whale! The second exciting thing to happen was that the barge finally came!! This brings a huge shipment of larger things. Such as trucks, ATVs and snowmobiles. It was really exciting to see!
So here they often speak through body language and not so much through words. If they want to say yes then they raise their eyebrows and if they want to say no then they scrunch their nose. This is what I have been told at least. And I finally got to experience my first eyebrow lift! It was really exciting. I also learned a new Yupik word today which I am awful at pronouncing so I will just tell you what it means in English, “throw up.” Yes I learned this one quickly today……
And my final thought today is back in 1992 my Grandpa put out a family letter that said “Monica is in the first grade this year. I am not sure the teacher knows what has hit her yet, maybe by Christmas she’ll get the picture.” Hopefully what goes around does not come back around. LOVE YOU LISA SULLIVAN (my first grade teacher and good friend today)!!!
2 comments:
Oh, dear sweet Monica~ reading your post before my first day of 'teacher meetings' made me cry! I am so proud of you and am so happy you picked teaching as a career!(And so excited Courtney is also going into the teaching field!) I knew from first grade, you would be an amazing teacher as I watched you helping others in class. Some people are just BORN to be teachers!I check your blog daily and am so happy you are recording your experience. I hope this is a wonderful week! Love you 'other' daughter!
My sister is married to Merrie Lisa Sullivan's brother, Bill. Lisa posted a link to your blog on facebook and I decided to check it out. What a great adventure! I look forward to reading your blog to see how you are making out especially in the winter months.
Post a Comment